Sometimes I wonder if I’m ever going to “amount to anything.”
I kick myself in the ass and tell myself I’m lazy, that I’m worthless, and that I should be “successful.” The weight of the world presses down on my shoulders and I worry that I’m not good enough or strong enough or rad enough.
And then I realize I’m amazing.
Looking back at the things I have done in the last six months is pretty awesome and really gives a lot of perspective to what I do:
- started taking film pictures
- began p90x – Kit and I started, finished half, then the holidays happened and now we’re back on week two.
- been making wallets and setting up an Etsy store for them
- perfected chemex coffee technique
- been blogging and image-dumping a bit at http://inhll.tumblr.com and https://inhll.wordpress.com
- completed a tactical self-defense class
- finished up my left sleeve
- spent energy learning Ruby on Rails and using it to build websites
- auditing an Introduction to Computer Science class at MIT and learning Python as an aside
- taken pottery classes at Lill Street….
- reading Stein on Writing and taking notes
- trying to be a more active listener by taking copious notes when I watch videos, especially with Ted Talks or educational videos
- speaking of Ted Talks here are a couple favorites:
- http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_our_loss_of_wisdom.html – We are less wise these days, with more rules
- http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html – More choice = less happiness, also from Barry
- http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/nigel_marsh_how_to_make_work_life_balance_work.html – On work/life balance
- http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/mike_rowe_celebrates_dirty_jobs.html – Mike Rowe on work
- http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run.html – On running, I loved Born to Run and this is a great synopsis
- learning some ukulele, only a few chords so far but it’s something
- watercolor painting and drawing
- Dungeon Mastering for a 4th Edition (yah yah) D&D game
- learning to cross-stitch
This is a lot. I’m actually pretty awesome and do a lot of cool stuff in addition to being an awesome person and cool dad.